Tuesday, November 23, 2004

 

Our Man In Kazakhstan.



Narcogen, webmaster of Rampancy, flew into London for a business meeting. Whilst a native of Boston, Narcogen lives and works in Kazakhstan.
Naturally, we met up for a beer or two. Or three. Or…you get the idea. We started off with a couple of liveners in the bar at Paddington station and chatted about Halo (of course). Narcogen is an old school, way back Bungie community member. I’m a recent interloper, having arrived via a love of console based FPS games. It was probably that first sniper shot in Goldeneye that got me hooked. From thence to Perfect Dark, then Halo (courtesy of my mate Colin who took me through the entire game on co-op one rainy weekend).
From Paddington, we moved on to The Heights bar (which has great views of the London skyline) and on to sports. I say WE moved on to sports, I mean I ranted about The Spurs, and Narcogen was polite enough to listen. I said I’d been to a baseball game in the States and was amazed that when you wanted a beer, you passed your money into the crowd and not only did a beer get passed all the way up to you, your change did too. Bloody hell. Try that at The Lane and you’d be lucky if your arm came back with a hand still on the end. Of course, Narcogen was familiar with Roman Abramovitch, Chelsea’s benefactor, so we talked about buying success and how that had happened in America with Hockey.
By now, we were feeling slightly peckish, so I took Narcogen to a restaurant in London’s Chinatown. I hope he actually managed to eat something. When armed with chopsticks and faced with an array of oriental dishes, my right hand has been known to approximate a striking cobra …
We continued to converse about all and sundry. Narc was keen to attend the opening of an Apple shop in Regent Street the following morning. We were on the Tsing Tao by now. I have to say, I seriously doubted his chances of being up in time…
Narcogen was kind enough to stump up for our dinner. Cheers guv! I took him down to the tube station where, in order to point out his route on the Underground map, I had to clap a hand over one eye. A sure indicator of a good night.
You can read Narc’s far more eloquent version of events here.

Comments:
Way to make an impression on our man

;)

Jilly
 
Hehe, Welcome to Blighty.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?