Tuesday, November 16, 2004

 

Could've Had It Months Ago.



Met up with c0ld Vengeance at se7en (ho, ho, ho) o’clock on November the 10th in The Tottenham pub on the corner of Oxford St. Basically, we had to kill five hours until Game’s midnight opening for the release of Halo 2.
Now normally, there’s nothing I’d like better than having to kill time using only a boozer and a drinking companion. Hell, I’ve lost entire weeks that way. But we reasoned that actually, we’d have to go a bit careful. It would be rather self defeating to get back to our respective homes so rinsed that we instantly passed out in front of the TV clutching our copies of Halo 2.
The Tottenham was heaving, so we moved on to The Blue Posts. The plan was to pace ourselves, have a couple of pints, watch the football (Toon versus Chelski) segue smoothly into a cheeky ruby then wander to the top of the road and start queuing sometime after 11.
The football was a bit dismal (0-0 FT – we actually missed extra time when the two goals were scored), the ruby was top drawer (Maharani, my personal favourite) and suitably fed and watered, we ambled up to Oxford St Game at around quarter past eleven. There were already twenty or thirty people there, hopping from foot to foot and shivering.
Every so often, a passerby would ask what we were standing in line for. Most seemed to be disappointed that it was for a video game, not some spicy new club. As time passed, the queue lengthened considerably.



Then we had a visitation from the staff of the nearby Dixons. First, they tacked up posters where we were standing, then tried to poach people with the promise of a free game if they bought Halo 2 from their midnight opening instead.
At about 11.45, Game was kind enough to open the doors and let us queue inside. They did, of course, have an ulterior motive. A smattering of bleary eyed staff roamed up and down the line trying to hawk strategy guides, controllers and even crystal Xboxes as we waited. One lad came over to myself and c0ld. “Look gents,” he said, “I know you’re not really interested but my boss is watching me and I’ve got to look like I’m talking to you. I’m on double time tonight.” You had to admire his honesty. “Have you been waiting long for it to come out?” he asked. “About three years,” I deadpanned. He laughed nervously. “Uh, yeah, I’ve been waiting a couple of months myself.” Then he leaned closer, and in conspiratorial tones he said, “You know the game was actually finished in January, yeah? They’ve just been tweaking it so it works on Live.” He nodded and smiled. c0ld and I just stared at him. His face fell. “Um, right then, well enjoy.” He shuffled off to the next punters. So there you have it. Halo 2 was finished in January. Every update we read was a lie. The Spotty Herbert in Game said so.
We became aware that there were blokes with shoulder mounted cameras moving around the store. Apparently the BBC and Sky were filming this rabble of geeks and nerds who’d crawled out into the London night just to be the first to play some game. We lifted our collars and shrank back a bit. You ain’t seen us, right?
The old Casio’s never been that reliable, so the first I truly knew it was past midnight was when people started to scuttle past excitedly clutching copies of the game and the free posters being given out with it. I have to say, the queue moved pretty fast. Game had a rank of tills going and were rattling out the sales. Just a few minutes later, we had our very own copies. Of Halo 2. Actually in our hands.
As we walked back to the Tube, I was aware of a slight quickening in our pace. And not just because c0ld needed to get the last train back from Liverpool St.
We hopped on a train and almost before I’d sat down I was attacking the cellophane.
c0ld just stared at his copy. “Not gonna open it?” I asked. “Nah. I’ll wait til I get home,” he said. I was already looking at the credits in the back of the manual.
“Spoilers!” I cried. “343 Guilty Spark, Tim Dadabo? 2401 Penitent Tangent, John Michael Higgins?”
“Gravemind?” said c0ld, eagerly thumbing through his own manual. So much for waiting til he got home.
We discussed what we would play first. c0ld wanted to get on Live as soon as humanly possible. I wanted to rip through the Campaign, just so I wouldn’t have to avoid spoilers anymore. The past few days had been agony and it was getting harder and harder not to see stuff that would ruin the surprises.
We arrived at my stop. I waved goodbye to c0ld, jumped in a taxi and was soon in front of the TV hearing the distorted guitar version of the main theme squeal out of the speaker for the first time. That’s not strictly true. It was squealing into my headphones.
You see, the young lady had to head off for work early in the morning. I’d meant to get some of those wireless headphones, but you know how it is…
So I ended up pushing the armchair right up to the screen, plugging a pair of Walkman headphones into the front of it and sitting there, hunched forward all night.
She later told me that although she didn’t hear any monks or biscuits (er – that’s her name for grunts. I asked why and she said “because they look like a biscuit.” Chicks eh?), she did hear me muttering, and the occasional “ooh” or “ah.”
I played from about one am to half six in the morning. As the lady got up to go to work, I took her place in bed and crashed out for four hours. I then got up at half ten and played through ‘til half four. I hadn’t eaten. I hadn’t drunk anything. In actual fact, I hadn’t moved. When I did eventually stand up, I was quite dizzy and there were lights going off in my peripheral vision. Nothing a couple of pies and a can of Dr Pepper couldn’t fix. But I had finished Halo 2. Admittedly only on Normal difficulty (which doesn’t show it off in the best light), but finished all the same. There were things I liked. There were things I didn’t like. There were things I loved.
Maybe I’ll go into all that in another post.
It certainly gave me loads of material for you-know-what though. Hmm. Sorry about that. And I hadn't even touched Live Multiplayer yet...





Comments:
I wouldn't believe the GAME clerk for a second, just remember they are people who reccomend army men games.

Did you get the standard version or limited edition?

I got my copy of the limited edition from the hmv oppisite bond street station at 9am when it opened [starting work at a rediculous time has some advantages] and got a copy [apparently they only had 10 of the limited edition!!]
 
Good Writeup. I'm glad to see some of you from across the pond got your grimy mittens on it pretty quickly.
 
This is nothing. I live in Inverness and was bivouaced outside our local HMV store from March 14th to November 11th 2004. My weight dropped to just over six stones during this period. Moreover, my personal hygiene deteriorated rather dramatically due to a complete lack of sanitation or facilities with which I might have attended to my ablutions. I arose – or more correctly, awoke - at 5:30 am on November 11th to find that I was too weak to gain my feet. Specifically, my legs had ceased to function from the knee down and both were as stiff as a board. I was also vaguely aware of the fact that I stank somewhat and that I sported a rank and greasy matted beard which extended to my exposed midriff. As I waited for the store to open, I realized that several of my teeth were missing: I cannot fully account for this but I lean more toward the frequent weekend beatings (especially around chucking out time) than the (admittedly) severe tooth decay that had set in over this period. It was almost 8:00 am when I learned with some horror that my money - indeed, my wallet and all of its contents - was missing. On reflection, this had been true for some weeks, which fact alone rendered my continued outdoor sojourn utterly pointless. Or so a lesser man would have reasoned. I was not without my resources, even in this shockingly reduced condition. A number of cunning schemes presented themselves in terms arguments which could win me a copy of Halo2 – perhaps even the Special Edition DVD – despite my lack of an immediate mode of payment: I reasoned that the average HMV cashier would not be an intellectual opponent that one should fear unduly. There was, as I readily accepted, the chance that a manager or higher official would be invoked – such occurrences were hardly unheard of – but even there I felt that my guile and experience would win the day. In any case, there would be ample time to consider these stratagems in more depth – first I needed to deal with my translocation. Clearly walking was out of the question, given the obvious state of my legs. Happily, my arms were quite another matter – another country, almost - not that I would deny that these appendages were themselves most shockingly bruised and emaciated. It was, therefore, with a degree of difficulty that I dragged myself into the store. My untrimmed and filth-encrusted nails gained good purchase on the pavement and, in the latter stages, the nylon-carpeted shop floor itself. This took a good thirty or forty minutes and when I reached the desk my heart was pounding, partly from the unaccustomed level of exertion but much more because I feared that the last copy of Halo2 had already been sold! Imagine my disappointment and ire, then, when I was informed that this branch of HMV had closed four years ago and that the building that I now occupied and befouled had been transformed into a “ladies boutique”. Gah, I said. Gah.

I will not recount the manner in which I returned home, nor the various degradations that I suffered during this journey. I found that my flat had been leased to a group of students – my rent, of course, had not been settled for months. After a noisy scuffle I was informed that they did not know where my possessions were, but that most likely they had been sold by the landlord in order to recoup at least some of his loss. This included, of course, my beloved X-box. I write this from a terminal in the Sir William MacDougal Public Library where I also occasionally sleep and tend to my basic bodily needs. They offer, of course, no gaming facilities. Under the circumstances, I’d be very grateful if anybody could post and tell me what Halo2 is like.
 
Thanks for writing about me! Great article. Great writing!

Tim Dadabo 343 Guilty Spark
www.timdadabo.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?